radio shack "chemist"

This was a character background design job I recently enjoyed doing for a groovy local agency called Butler,Shine,Stern and Partners for a Radio Shack commercial.The job was "puppet style" animation in after fx with an etching look for the design.
These are the first drawings I did for the chemist character.
The character became this guy,although his hands were too cartoony and later refined .
This was the chemists background I designed,at this point everything was approved so I made replacement hand and face poses and the spot was animated .
Then somebody decided the spot looked too tame so it was literally "back to the drawing board "I was directed to reference Einstein ,Walter Matthau and Christopher Lloyd.
Einstein won but his hair and beard had to be crazied up.I drew all the stuff in this spot except the smoke ,the hamsters and their bycicles.

This post explosion cat didn't make the cut .